As a 16 year old, I think most of us are actually somewhat similar. Most of us are invincible, all knowing, yet somewhat insecure and, at least in our own opinion, never gave our parents any "attitude". (Hopefully you all noted that this is dripping with sarcasm). As a 16 year old, I remember just wishing I was 17 or 18 or in college already or in my own place doing my own things.
I drove a 1990 Chrysler LeBaron (a convertible!!!) and worked on cattle ranch. I was a junior in high school and can not remember much of anything else that I thought, did or wished for.
I say all this to lead into today's topic - "List 5 things you would tell your 16 year old self if you could"
I would tell myself a million things. Learn how to sew. Take value in all you read. Listen to the wisdom that is all around you. Do everything in high school you possibly can. Cherish your friendships. Be nicer to your family. Stop procrastinating! You end up with a great guy. Your children are going to be perfect. Save your money. Stop wasting time on people who don't think you're worth the same. Do things whole heartedly. Take out the trash for mom. Study! Don't stay up so late. Take unique classes. Volunteer. Learn how to change your own oil. Walk with purpose. People see everything you do.
However, this post is supposed to be the 5 things you would tell yourself (oops). So, here are the 5 most valuable things I think a 16 year old should know (including myself). These are lessons I sincerely hope to pass on to my children as well.
5 - Stop spending all your money!
Sure everything is all glittery and seems so whimsical now that you have your own cash to spend. But stop it! It's important to invest in the essentials. Essentials only - a decent, nice set of clothes, a running car with gas, an OCCASIONAL movie and dinner out, you know, have a life, but budget out your life. Don't take out more money than you need.
4 - Forgive and be happy.
There is no use in harboring hatred for things you have no control over. Stop dwelling on the "bad cards you've been handed" and start figuring out what to do with them. When you make the conscious CHOICE to be happy (that's right, being happy is a choice) you will be. It's a freeing desicion.
3 - Be a person of action.
Do what you say you are going to do. Don't make promises you can not keep. Whatever you do, do it well. Follow through and follow up. Actions are what matter. Oh, and stop wishing your life away. Live for the now, cherish your experiences and enjoying be your 16 year old self. Time is a funny thing and the more action you take in your current life, the more you can enjoy it!
2 - Live a life of servatude.
You will be happiest making others happy. We are born unique and with a conscience to use it. Do for others.
1 - Be careful who you surround yourself with. You become them.
Seek wisdom from all around you - and make sure those people are worth listening to.
Now I can't wait to see what you think! Comment below what you would tell yourself - it will be great to see what everyone thinks!
Until we meet again...
#1 and most important ~ dump him! He's a jerk!
ReplyDelete#2 high school is easy ~ the real challenge begins in college
#3 forget about what everybody else thinks! Live and do what you think is best
#4 cherish family time
#5 enjoy it, you're only young once!
Thanks for sharing Shelley! I love #3 especially!
DeleteI agree with Shelley's #2! Great list, Cassie.
ReplyDelete