Makin' baby's food that is...ha ha, suckers...
::HAULT:: if you are a first time visitor, you should read my "I'm starting a blog...say wha?!" post in order to know and understand my blog philosophy ☺ you may proceed...



You would think he would be kissing the ground I walk on for all this mulah I'm saving us, but nnnnoooo..... Anyways, back to the food. I have no patience, so I cook my veggies and fruits and meats in a little covered dish in the microwave for about 3-5 minutes, like so...









And it's much easier for grab and go. No need to pop out the cubes, find the bowl, lid and spoon - it's mostly all right there! Awesome!!
Ps. Sometimes I use frozen bananas. If you have bananas around the house that are ripening at a pace you do not like, throw them in the freezer. You can use them for baby food or breads or whatever really. They can even be a substitute for eggs! Weird...
In my half night home tonight I realized that little Miss Kinley Princess (yes, we call her Princess. Yes, I realize this is going to cause a world of problems at some point in our lives, but right now, she's just so cute and sweet and I can't help it. ::Insert childish tone of voice:: Brent started it!) was going to be out of baby food by the end of the week, which is not good for a variety of reasons. 1) my only full night home was yesterday and 2) tonight was the closest thing to a full night I was going to have home (got home around 5:30, after dinner, Carter puking for the first time because he ate too fast (gross I know, and very, very weird. I knew he was ok because he proceed to literally RUN around the house naked for the rest of the evening, pushing Kinley in the walker and crashing his cars) therefore needing a bath, and a load of laundry in the washer because of the puking, it was not until around 7:00 that I actually realized Princess was running out of food...) and 3) the rest of the week is full of running around like cray cray. Meaning I had a SHORT window of time before Tarter Sauce needed to go to bed - myself as well.
Luckily I have (almost) perfected making said baby food in approximately 1 hour!! Woo hoo!! Tonight, from about 7:15-8:15 I produced about 95 oz of baby food, which will feed Princess for about 20ish days.
Here's what I do...
::Warning - I am a mess maker. I like to do things fast and throw as much of the mess away as possible.::
I use store brand canned or frozen foods mostly. I use fresh bananas and sweet potatoes too. I have made applesauce, but it is cheaper and a whole lot less time consuming to just buy the applesauce. Always check the labels though...
I had the husband buy sweet potatoes one time. He got candied yams in syrup from the can - just make sure there isn't anything in there you don't want your little princess to have. Ya...speaking of the husband. Here's his only job while I'm doing the food prep and clean up...
You would think he would be kissing the ground I walk on for all this mulah I'm saving us, but nnnnoooo..... Anyways, back to the food. I have no patience, so I cook my veggies and fruits and meats in a little covered dish in the microwave for about 3-5 minutes, like so...
Pop that stuff in the food processor...
I usually will chop it for a full minute or two depending on the item. Also, I add oatmeal cereal if it needs thickened.
Sounds delish right - green beans and oatmeal. Yuuuuumm. But Princess likes it ☺so thanks to my bestie, Kskank, I found these little gems at the Dolla (holla) Tree (10 for a $1 - don't mind if I do)....
I use the cheapo "bread storage bags" to pour the food into the cups...
Eeww...
Blah. Hey, whatever, it works ☺and I even got cute cups for when we go out in public he he...
Look...I even made sure the time was in the background so you'd believe me! Each cup is about a 2 oz serving and my little (almost) 6 month old Princess eats about 4 - 5 of these a day (2 at lunch and 3 at dinner). My kids looooove their baby food. They both really started filling out when I gave them baby food. Crazy kids. Oh ya, with Carter I did the ice cube tray thing and I do use it for any food that won't fit in the cups this time around. Looks like poopsicles....
I like the cups better because its easier storage...(don't judge me, but I still have frozen sweet potatoes stuck to the top of my freezer from strategically trying to stack ice cube trays with Carter. He's two and a half. Whoops...)
And it's much easier for grab and go. No need to pop out the cubes, find the bowl, lid and spoon - it's mostly all right there! Awesome!!
Ps. Sometimes I use frozen bananas. If you have bananas around the house that are ripening at a pace you do not like, throw them in the freezer. You can use them for baby food or breads or whatever really. They can even be a substitute for eggs! Weird...
Ok, I think that's it ☺
May the force be with you....(nope, though I do LOVE me some Star Wars)...
Glad you're getting some use out of those bread bags! ;) I'm stealing your idea of separating fruits and veggies into separate containers! ��
ReplyDeleteSteal away friend :)
DeleteGlad to see it doesn't take long to do, because I'm planning on making Raylee's food, also. Be ready for more questions from me!!!
ReplyDeleteBring on the questions :) you're a good cook, this'll be easy!!
DeleteI literally LOL'ed at the candied yams part. So something a guy would do. These are great ideas! Thanks for sharing. How do you mix your sweet potatoes without them getting gluey + clogging up the processor?
ReplyDeleteIt totally is a guy thing!
DeleteI personally use water every time I need to thin out - but you could also use breast milk or formula. You'll have to watch how long it's out and in the fridge with milk though.
With the sweet potatoes specifically, if you really cook the crap out of them, you should be alright. I steam mine really well to get them soft so they blend into this really velvety mix.
Hope Miranda enjoys!! :)